Repairs, Refurbishment and Modernisation
Seward Wyon has considerable experience in the refurbishment and modernisation of cargo handling equipment including container cranes, wheel and rail mounted gantry cranes and dockside cranes.
Major benefits of refurbishment include reduced costs and timescales compared to new equipment, client involvement in selection of drives, controls, motors and gearboxes in order to rationalise spare part stockholding and availability.
A typical refurbishment comprises :
- Restoration of damaged and corroded structures
- Corrosion treatment including blasting and painting
- Replacement of access platforms
- Testing and overhaul of mechanical and electrical components including motors, gearboxes and brake systems
- Installation of new drives and control systems and wiring throughout including festoon, cable reel and energy chain systems
- Replacement of wheels, sheaves, pins, bushes, bearings and slew rings
- Replacement of operator cab
- Wire rope replacement
- Rail replacement
- Commissioning, proof load testing and certification
The ever-increasing demands on cranes in terms of cycle times, increases in height of lift and reach are under constant review in order to accommodate the latest and future generations of cargo and container ships. Modifying cranes can be a viable solution.